Spinach Salad with Roasted Cauliflower, Dried Fruits, and Balsamic Vinaigrette
Committee meeting working lunch, 3/8/12
This salad is very similar to the highly adaptable template for green salad with root vegetables.
- 1 head cauliflower*
- 3 tablespoons canola, vegetable, or olive oil, divided between cauliflower and dressing
- 2 large pinches salt, divided between cauliflower and dressing
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- black pepper
- 6 oz baby spinach or other greens*
- 1/2 cup dried fruit of any kind, chopped into small pieces if large
Preheat oven to 400. Cut the cauliflower into bit size pieces. You can cut up the stem as well as the florets. Put cauliflower pieces into a bowl with 1 tablespoon oil and 1 large pinch salt and toss to coat evenly. Spread cauliflower on a baking sheet and roast until tender and beginning to brown, about 15-25 minutes (depending on size of pieces). Cauliflower can be roasted up to 5 days in advance and kept in the fridge, if desired.
In a small bowl, combine balsamic vinegar, mustard, large pinch of salt, and black pepper. Mix well, then add remaining 2 tablespoons oil, mixing well.
In a large bowl, toss together spinach, chopped dried fruit, roasted cauliflower, and dressing. Serve.
*Cauliflower and spinach can both be grown here in Nebraska, though they are not generally available fresh locally in winter.