Hearty Green Salad with Beans, Eggs, and Peppers
This salad is a meal in itself – with lots of healthy protein from the eggs and beans along with the vegetables, it’s a great lunch or dinner. All the components of the salad can be made in advance.
- ⅓ cup plain yogurt (NOT vanilla)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable, canola, or olive oil
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried or 2 tablespoons fresh chopped oregano
- 10-14 ounces lettuce*, any variety, washed and dried
- 1 cup cooked beans*, any variety (see bean-cooking guide for instructions, or use canned)
- 4 eggs, hard-boiled (see instructions here) and chopped
- 2 red bell peppers*, chopped
Dressing: Whisk all ingredients together in a small bowl. Set aside.
Salad: In a large bowl, combine lettuce, beans, chopped hard boiled eggs, and chopped red peppers. Add dressing and toss to coat. Taste and add additional salt and pepper, if needed. Serve immediately.
Serves 6-8 as a side dish, 3-4 as a main course.
*Lettuce, beans, and peppers can all be raised in your garden.