Yogurt Chive Dip
Community garden training snack, 8/8/12 – served with fresh carrots, cucumber, peppers, and kohlrabi
This dip is a healthy, tasty, creamy way to dress up your vegetables or crackers. Chives and garlic can come right from your own garden.
- 1 clove garlic*, finely chopped (or omit and use garlic salt – see instructions below)
- 2 tablespoons olive, vegetable, or canola oil
- 1 cup plain nonfat yogurt, preferably greek-style or strained
- 1/4 cup finely chopped chives*
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (or garlic salt – see instructions below)
If using fresh garlic: in a small saucepan, combine garlic and oil. Heat on medium-low for 3-5 minutes, until the garlic smells very fragrant and begins to bubble around the edges. Remove from heat.
In a small bowl, whisk together yogurt, chives, salt, and the garlic with its oil. Or, if using garlic salt, combine the yogurt and chives with 2 tablespoons oil and the garlic salt.
Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes to allow flavors to mingle, then serve.
Makes 1 cup.
*These items can be grown in your garden.