Roasted Broccoli or Cauliflower
Community demonstration, 1/23/13
Tired of the same old boring vegetables? Roasting is a really easy, really tasty way to make vegetables more exciting. You can use fresh or frozen vegetables – both work very well.
- 1 pound broccoli, cauliflower, or a combination, cut into florets – fresh or frozen
- 1 tablespoon vegetable, canola, or olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
In a large bowl, toss all ingredients until vegetables are evenly coated with oil and salt. (Frozen vegetables can go straight from the freezer to the bowl – just remove any extra ice.) Spread on a baking sheet.
Bake for 25-35 minutes if fresh, 35-45 minutes if frozen, until stems are tender when pierced with a knife and edges are browned.
Serves 4 as a side dish.
VARIATIONS: This simple preparation is easy to dress up however you like:
- Add 1 teaspoon chili powder or any other favorite spice blend before roasting
- Bake until almost done, then sprinkle with 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese and return to oven until just melted
- Toss cooked vegetables with 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar before serving