Apple Cake with Lemon Glaze
Adapted from Cooking Light
Community meeting training dinner, 4/3/13
This cake is very similar to last session’s carrot cake. Still not health food, but a great dessert!
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup canola, vegetable, or mild olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3 cups chopped or grated apples, any variety
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 – 2 cups confectioner’s sugar
Preheat oven to 350. Grease a 9×13 pan.
In a large bowl, combine water, oil, eggs, and vanilla. Mix well.
In a medium bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, nutmeg, and cloves. Add this flour mixture to the wet ingredients in the other bowl and stir until just combined. Add apples and mix to combine.
Pour into prepared pan. Bake 30-35 minutes, until cake springs back when lightly poked and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool.
To make the glaze, whisk confectioners sugar into lemon juice. Add just enough to reach your desired drizzling thickness. Drizzle over bars, then cut and serve.