Community meeting training session, 11/14/12
Cabbage and carrots get dressed up with quick-pickled onions and a creamy dressing. A variation of Cabbage, Apple, Red Onion, and Carrot Slaw.
- 1/4 red onion, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1/2 head cabbage, thinly sliced
- 2 carrots, shredded into matchsticks or grated on a large grater
- 2 teaspoons mustard (Dijon is best, but any kind will work)
- 1 teaspoon honey (or sugar)
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- Black pepper (freshly ground if available)
In a small bowl, pour the cider vinegar over the sliced onion to cover it. Add a pinch of salt. Allow to sit for at least 20 minutes, or up to overnight in the fridge.
To a large bowl, add the shredded cabbage and carrots. Remove the onions from the vinegar and add them here, reserving the vinegar.
To the vinegar in the small bowl, whisk in mustard, honey, and mayonnaise. Add black pepper and additional salt to taste.
Pour desired amount of dressing (you won’t need all of it – use the rest on another slaw or salad within 2 weeks) over the vegetables and toss to combine.
**All ingredients in bold can be grown in your own garden or purchased at a farmers market.**