Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
Carrots don’t make it health food, but they do add some vitamins.
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup white sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 cups grated carrots (from 5-6 large carrots)
- 8 oz cream cheese or 1/3-less fat cream cheese (neufchatel cheese), softened
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups confectioners sugar
Preheat oven to 350. Grease a 9×13 pan.
In a large bowl, combine oil, white sugar, and brown sugar. Mix well. Add eggs, applesauce, and vanilla, and mix thoroughly to combine.
In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Add this flour mixture to the wet ingredients in the other bowl and stir until just combined. Add carrots and mix to combine.
Pour into prepared pan. Bake 30-35 minutes, until cake springs back when lightly poked and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool.
In a large bowl, combine cream cheese and butter. Using an electric mixer, combine thoroughly. Add sugar and vanilla and beat until completely combined. Spread over cooled cake.