Committee meeting working lunch, 10/18/12 – served with pumpkin cornbread
The pumpkin and spice in this beef-and-bean chili adds a subtle taste and a lot of fiber, vitamin A, and other nutrients.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided between beef and onions
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 14-ounce or 1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes in juice
- 2 cans beans, any variety, drained from liquid
- 2 cups pumpkin or other winter squash puree (see instructions, or use canned)
- 1 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice OR 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon and 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, optional
In a large pot, heat 1 tablespoon oil and brown the beef. Remove the beef to a bowl or plate, then add the remaining tablespoon oil. Add onions and garlic and cook until onions are translucent and soft, about 5-7 minutes. Add chili powder and cumin and cook 1 minute more, stirring.
Add remaining ingredients (tomatoes, beans, pumpkin, and spices if using) and bring to a boil. Turn the heat down to low and simmer for 30-75 minutes – the longer the chili cooks, the tastier it will be.