Spring Greens and Vegetables Salad with Vinaigrette
Community training dinner, 5/21/12
This salad uses the earliest spring vegetables that are easy to grow in your own garden: lettuce, turnips, radishes, and scallions. This salad is very light and bright-tasting, perfect for spring.
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice, white wine vinegar, or 1 tablespoon of each
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 large pinch salt
- black pepper, to taste
- 3 tablespoons olive, vegetable, or canola oil
- 8 oz lettuce or other salad greens, washed and dried
- 4 radishes, thinly sliced
- 2 turnips, thinly sliced
- 1 bunch scallions, sliced (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/2 cup parsley leaves (optional)
- 3 oz feta cheese (optional)
Make dressing: use a whisk or fork to mix together lemon juice/vinegar, garlic, salt, and pepper. Add oil and mix thoroughly. This will separate out as it sits because oil and vinegar do not like to mix. You can whisk or shake it again before you use it.
Toss salad: Combine lettuce, radishes, turnips, scallions, parsley (if using) and feta (if using) in a large bowl. Add dressing and toss to combine.
VARIATION: Spring Greens and Vegetables Salad with Creamy Dressing
Community meeting training dinner, 3/20/2013
Instead of the vinaigrette, use this creamy dressing from the roasted sweet potato salad, and skip the feta cheese.
- 1 clove garlic
- large pinch salt
- ¼ cup plain yogurt (or substitute low-fat sour cream if plain yogurt is unavailable, or omit and make changes noted below – do not use vanilla yogurt)
- 2 teaspoons lemon or lime juice (increase to 4 teaspoons if omitting yogurt)
- ½ teaspoon mild chili powder
- 2 teaspoons vegetable, canola, or olive oil (increase to 2 tablespoons if omitting yogurt)
Dressing: Finely mince the garlic. Add a large pinch of salt to the garlic on the cutting board and continue to mince, then use the side of your knife to grind the salted garlic into a paste. Get it as smooth as you can, but don’t worry if there are still some larger pieces. Scrape the garlic paste into a small bowl. Add yogurt, lemon juice, and chili powder and mix well with a fork. Add oil and mix well.